The great terroirs of Fronsac is composed of superb landscapes of plateaus and hillsides. That is why it is called the Tuscany of Bordeaux.
Around the year 770, Emperor Charlemagne, staying in Fronsac, built a powerful fortress. Today Fronsac can be proud of the fact that "Fronciacus" was written in full letters by Charlemagne's chronicler, Eginhard.
In 1663, the Duke of Richelieu decided to acquire the Duchy of Fronsac'slands for his family. On the ruins of the old fortress, his grand-nephew, Marshal Arnaud du Plessis, Duke of Richelieu, built a "folie", a theater of gallant parties whose echo spread to the court of Louis XIV.
From then on, the fame of the wines of Fronsac did not cease to spread and predominates the other wines of Libourne, including Saint-Emilion and Pomerol. Where in the 18th century, the qualitative revolution of the wines of the Libournais took its roots. The rise of the world maritime trade contributes to establishing the Fronsac vineyard among the noblest of Bordeaux. The name of Fronsac then enjoys a good reputation, and it is on this territory that the notion of "cru" appears for the first time in the Libourne area, thus sealing the history of Fronsac to that of wine.
In 1937, The wines of Fronsac benefited from the appellation "d'origine contrôlée" which, extends over seven communes dominating the valleys of the Dordogne and Isle. The production of Fronsac wines thus extends over an area of 850 hectares.
Louis-François-Armand de Vignerot du Plessis de Richelieu